Working Together to Solve Issues Facing Orange County
In an effort to focus resources and address the most pressing social issues in the local community, UCI and Orange County United Way have partnered to form OC Working Together. The initiative unites UCI faculty and graduate students, Orange County United Way leadership, chief executives from Orange County’s leading nonprofits, and city- and county-elected officials to develop strategies on how to improve and expand collective energies to help the least fortunate among us.
UCI and United Way are natural partners. At UCI faculty, staff and students are working every day to address the issues that matter to Orange County. United Way, with a mission to improve lives and strengthen Orange County, last year put momentum into action with a 10-year community-wide action plan called FACE 2024. Together, through OC Working Together, UCI and United Way aim to enhance existing efforts to collectively improve the quality of life for community members by providing leadership, expertise and resources in our areas of shared interest of education, family violence prevention, financial stability, health and housing.
- Engage - Connect OC nonprofits with UCI to support efforts to address social issues through research
- Apply - Put in action UCI research findings and talent to support existing collaborations
- Spark - Encourage new collaborations among OC community nonprofits
- Strategize - Provide a forum for continued dialogue on 10-year goals set by Orange County stakeholders through United Way's FACE 2024 plan and set the stage for continued or new actions needed
Areas of Focus:
- K-12 Education: Partnerships for Literacy
- Family Violence: Reducing Family Violence
- Financial Stability: Improving Fiscal Fitness for our Youth
- Health: Raising Healthy Families
- Housing: Using Data to Reduce Homelessness
When: Thursday, October 1, 2015
Main Event: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Hosted Reception: 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Where: Newkirk Alumni Center, 450 Alumni Court, Irvine, CA 92617
Check-In | Breakfast
9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Welcoming Remarks | Emcees Michael Ruane and Jennifer Friend
Opening Remarks | Chancellor Howard Gillman
Objectives and Agenda for Summit | Max Gardner, OC United Way
10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Keynote Speaker | Erin Gruwell '91, Freedom Writers Foundation
11:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
12:30 p.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Setting the Stage for Creative Collaboration | Tim Shaw
1:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Breakout Sessions | Attendees to break out into groups to discuss areas of focus: Education, Family Violence, Financial Stability, Health and Housing
3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Emcees Michael Ruane and Jennifer Friend lead debrief from Breakout Sessions | Discuss and Identify Next Steps
4:45 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closing Remarks | Dean Bill Maurer and Max Gardner
5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.